1. A solar eclipse is a short period of time in which the moon will completely cover the sun and it's atmosphere.
2. The next solar eclipse in the United States will occur on October 14th, 2023.
3. There can be two to five solar eclipses in a year, but it is much more common for there to be two solar eclipses per year.
4. There are three different types of eclipses, those that occur on other planets, solar eclipses, and lunar eclipses. Solar and lunar eclipses, however, can be total, partial, or annular. Because of this, there are eight different types of eclipses.
5. Indiana will have a total solar eclipse on April 8th, 2024.
6. If you look at a solar eclipse with your naked eye, the bright light of the sun will damage your retina, which could cause blindness.
7. To be safe during a solareclipse one should use a qualified solar filter, glasses or hand-held, and even then do not stare too long. Do not look at the eclipse through an unfiltered camera, telescope, or binoculars.
8. A musical connection that I made to the eclipse was No One Else, sung by Phillipa Soo. Her character, Natasha, sings a soliloquy about her fiancee to the stars.
9. An extra connection I can make to the eclipse is in the candy Mars Bars. The planet Mars also experiences occasional eclipses.
10A. I chose this link as it answers a rather interesting question about the eclipse: will it affect the temperature? The answer is yes, but, for 2017 at least, not very drastically. NASA predicts the temperature will go down around 10 degrees Fahrenheit.
10B. The article linked is focusing on how the solar eclipse can affect a domestic cat or dog, and some precautions to make sure that they stay safe.
10C. This article was written to inform people on how to take a good, safe photo of the eclipse with a smartphone.