An armed group is stopping migrant boats from setting off across the Mediterranean from a city west of Tripoli that has been a springboard for people smugglers, causing a sudden drop in departures over the past month, sources in the area said. The revelation throws new light on the sharp reduction in migrant arrivals from Italy, which took over from the Aegean route as the main focus of European concerns in the crisis.
The Libyan Red Crescent in Misrata handed over Monday four children of Sudanese nationality aged between 5 months and 7 years to the Sudanese Consul. The children were rescued from Sirte during the war on IS terrorists. The handing over of the children was supervised by a representative from the Libyan Foreign Ministry, the Chief of Sudanese-Libyan Brotherhood Committee, and the administration of the Libyan Red Crescent in Misrata. The children had been given shelter for 8 months before they were handed over to the Sudanese Consul, who will take the needed measures to return them to their relatives in Sudan.
The shutdown of Libya’s Sharara oilfield, the country’s largest field, has once again shown that expected production growth of several OPEC countries should not be taken for granted. Even though several media sources have been publishing overwhelmingly optimistic reports about the security situation in the country, especially after the unexpected production boost of Libya’s battered oil and gas sector, the perceived ‘peace’ between General Khalifa Haftar’s LNA and the East Libyan government (HoR), remains shaky at best.
Chief of the Presidential Guard of the UN-proposed government, Najmi al-Nakou, has declared that an Algerian-Libyan agreement had been reached to train Presidential Guard personnel. "We have agreed to open up with Algeria for training members of the Presidential Guard and an agreement on this issue will soon be signed. A number of Algerian security gendarmes will visit Libya in order to train members of the Presidential Guard”. Nakou said in a press statement.
The Libyan Zurich-based entrepreneur, Basit Igtet, has called on the Libyan people to march in the Martyr Square on September 25 to support what he called the new “liberation” of people’s suffering from the current oppression and starvation policies of the governments in Libya. Igtet, a Benghazi local who is living in Switzerland, where he built a business name in many sectors, said in his third statement to the Libyan people, especially the Tripoli residents, that he has a plan to get the Libyans out of their misery caused by whom he described as the politicians who destroyed Libya.
A member of the medical mission in charge of escorting Libyan pilgrims to Mecca, Mohsen al-Mughairbi, confirmed that all necessary arrangements for the work of the mission inside the Saudi Arabia are complete. Mughrabi said in a statement on the Hajj Committee page on Facebook that the medical mission, which includes 25 doctors and nurses, had opened its medical center in the Libyan pilgrims’ residence in Mecca, Angum Mecca Hotel, with 24 hours of service.
According to Libyan publication 'The Libyan Observer', a human rights activist has filed an official complaint with the International Criminal Court (ICC) accusing renegade Libyan General Khalifa Haftar of orchestrating war crimes, stemming from the war in Benghazi which has left hundreds of people dead.
The Head of the UN-proposed government's Presidential Council, Fayez Al-Sirraj, said lifting the ban on arms purchase and importation to Libya is very imminent so that the army can do its job and secure the country as well as the country's borders, according to the media office of Al-Sirraj. Al-Sirraj statement came in a meeting in his Tripoli office with a number of military leaders. "We hail the efforts of our government in trying to unite the sovereign institutions, especially the military one. We should not forget that the Libyan army is united since the date of its formation in 1952 and it will remain united under the loyalty to Libya only. It will remain autonomous and all conflicting parties agreed on this." Al-Sirraj said in the meeting.
The Undersecretary of Defense, Uhida Najem, met with British Ambassador to Libya Peter Millett at the ministry's headquarters, in the presence of Defense Ministry officials. Najem said that he had held meetings with several international bodies, but found no intention of supporting the military establishment. He added that the ministry has a clear vision on structuring the military institution and securing borders in addition to integrate armed groups in various state institutions.