Dear UNESCO council, I would like you to consider preserving Irish Gaelic, or Irish because of how important it is to Irish culture. it is also important that Gaelic is preserved because of the historical significance of the language. Gaelic is one of the official languages of Ireland along with English, but it has since been starting to die out. The increasing popularity of English in Ireland is causing Gaelic to start to die out.
This article talks about how Gaelic is endangered in the 21st century. It talks about how there were originally hundreds of thousands of people who spoke Gaelic fluently but as of 2001, about 60-80 thousand people speak it. This article strongly supports my argument that the language is starting to die off.
This article talks about how Irish Gaelic was spoken by hundreds of thousands of people in Ireland. It also talks about how English, among other things, is causing Gaelic to die off. This article brings to light the fact that widespread use and diffusion of English in Ireland is slowly starting to threaten Irish Gaelic.
This website gives statistics on how many people in Ireland speak Irish. Chapter 7 of their research talks about how only 30% of the irish population who are 3 years of age and older can speak Irish while the remaining 70% of the population can't speak it. This helps to support the argument that Irish Gaelic, or Irish, is starting to die off within Ireland and that it needs help to be preserved.
this article talks about how Irish Gaelic has had an effect on the toponyms of different places like how some historical places have names that are Irish. It also talks about how English has caused the use of Irish Gaelic to decline due to technological advancements. This helps to support the argument that Gaelic is important within history, and must be preserved for future generations.
This article talks about the history of Gaelic and how some scholars think that it dates back thousands of years. it also mentions that the Irish language was once on the brink of extinction during the 1840's due to the Potato Famine. This article helps support the fact that if not enough people can speak Irish Gaelic, or Irish, then the language could eventually become extinct.